Flowers or car parks?

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

Flowers or car parks?

Postby frank worrall » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm

I supose thats a silly question really, you have to have car parks of course. I miss the flowers and the gardens from the 60s to the 80s, but in those days most people came on public transport (remember that word) another thing of the past. I still feel it would be nice to do more with the Lakes instead of filling in with tarmac, but you can always do as weve done, and join the National Trust and see their magnificient houses and gardens and go back at night and enjoy the best entertainment at the Butlin camps (sorry centres)
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Bobf » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 pm

I think you sum it up perfectly. I just looked at the @now and then @ photos of Pwelli (sic) and it lacks colour. Modern is grey and bland because it is functional and boring. Progress ????? Re gress more like it. Choose a decade to live in and who would pick today.

(I should form a Butlins Pwelli 1976 club and learn to spell it.
Bobf
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby catmad » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Bobf wrote:I think you sum it up perfectly. I just looked at the @now and then @ photos of Pwelli (sic) and it lacks colour. Modern is grey and bland because it is functional and boring. Progress ????? Re gress more like it. Choose a decade to live in and who would pick today.

i'd join that club, i never get the spelling right. and 'ditto', on your other comments.
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Back to the future

Postby frank worrall » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:54 pm

catmad wrote:
Bobf wrote:I think you sum it up perfectly. I just looked at the @now and then @ photos of Pwelli (sic) and it lacks colour. Modern is grey and bland because it is functional and boring. Progress ????? Re gress more like it. Choose a decade to live in and who would pick today.

i'd join that club, i never get the spelling right. and 'ditto', on your other comments.

Sorry but we cant go back to those happy days, we conveniently forget the bad times and there were some of course, at least Borne Leisure judging by comments, and backed up by photographs on other parts of this site, are trying to make things better. Good luck to them, a little praise goes a long way.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby minehead forever » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 am

absolutely agree,i've been saying that about bourne for ages,praise does go along way.yes not everythings perfect,but at the moment butlins looks to have a healthy future.could that be said of butlins under rank in the mid 90's.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby frank worrall » Thu May 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Looking forward to going to the Redcoat Reunion at Skegness, the end of this month now, it has really come round quickly. Going to tour the flower beds etc, that Joker displayed on another part of this site, should be in flower now, and sseeing other Reds from many camps and hotels, should really bring the place to life.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Leenaz12 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 am

absolutely agree
Leenaz12
Beaver Club
Beaver Club

Postby peake4 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

This is a difficult question. Logically car parks are needed and it is good that there are so many but on the other side flowers and green areas are important too. I am of the opinion that it is important to have the right mixture of both. I personally love flowers and due to this I often get flowers delivered because I think it is important to have fresh flowers at home.
peake4
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby minehead forever » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:18 pm

butlins rose gardens were fantastic,end of chalet rows,in between buildings they were everywere and so much colour as well.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby sammye99 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:38 pm

I hate all the car parks at Skegness they've completly taken over. You only have to look at the now & then photos on this site to see how many things have been replaced with car parks :(
Maybe Butlins should partner up with coach/train companies to offer campers reduced rates so they don't need to bring their cars, then some of the car parks could be turned back into gardens or something else nice.
I always travel to Butlins by train because I don't have a car but other people say they are put off the train or coach because it's so expensive or inconvenient.
I have a family railcard so for 2 adults & 2 kids (infant goes free) I pay around £55 return from Tamworth to Skegness, then another £15 to get the bus to the station & back both here in Tamworth & in Skeggy. So for £70 I get my whole family from door to door then back again, I'm sure it must be cheaper for petrol???
When I went to Minehead in December on my own it cost £80 in train & bus fare, I think that's ridiculous for 1 adult.
I did look into getting the coach but the coach from Birmingham to Skegness goes via London & takes 11 hours lol.
I know many people wouldn't be willing to leave their cars at home but if the fares were at least competitive I'm sure some people would choose that option.
xX-----SAM-----Xx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
sammye99
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Return to Any Questions