Recommended books?

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

Recommended books?

Postby Boomerang » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:46 pm

I was looking on Amazon for a good book on Billy Butlin and the history of Butlins. There seems to be quite a few books available so I though I'd come on here to see who has read what and see if anyone can recommend some particularly insightful books? All opinions welcome. Thanks a million!!
"I'm a bit of a bullshitter myself, but occasionally I love to watch a professional at work. So please, continue."
Boomerang
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby Joker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am

My favorite is The Billy Butlin Story Written in collaboration with Peter Dacre more of a "from the horses mouth than Rex North's The Butlin Story, both well worth a read.

Then, Hello Campers by Sue Read
And if you find a copy of, Filey Thanks For The Memories by Paul Wray

See our books page
http://www.bygonebutlins.com/books/

If you come across any others that need adding let me know

Have Fun !!!

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recommended books?

Postby rocky mason » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:10 pm

Boomerang wrote:I was looking on Amazon for a good book on Billy Butlin and the history of Butlins. There seems to be quite a few books available so I though I'd come on here to see who has read what and see if anyone can recommend some particularly insightful books? All opinions welcome. Thanks a million!!
Hi Bomerang, over the years I have read them all. The Rex North, Butlin Story was written in 1962, it's a very factual account and just about as accurate as any of the others. They do differ a bit in accuracy because all the little stories and anecdotes differ. The basic picture in all of them is about right. Hello Campers by Sue Read was written to cdelebrate Butlins 50th year. When I talk about 'factual' and 'accuracy' I am merely talking about the irritating little points, even this sites Forum page differs from what I have been told. The yard, in Bristol, where he is supposed to have painted up is thirty bob Hoopla stall, I have always been assured it was Dorney's yard!! Small things like that I find irritating because one is accurate and one is not!! Good Luck, Rocky Mason
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

butlin's history

Postby sendacott » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 am

There will be a new book out in April 2011 to co-incide with the anniversary - "Butlin's 75 years of fun' It has 128 pages and over 200 photo's of the history from Billy to the present day, but it concentrates on the period to 1970s' It includes staff, the nursery, each camp etc. - more details to follow :D
I enjoy providing talks on the history of Butlin's and have just written a book on the Company history - Butlin's 75 years of fun.
sendacott
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby minehead forever » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:16 pm

thanks sendacott,will look forward to that.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby sendacott » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:09 pm

Everything is in hand for the new book "Butlin's 75 years of Fun" to be out at the end of March - if you visit http://www.bognor-local-history.co.uk/book-butlins.html you will see more details or you can visit the website for The History Press. Watch the press for details.

We have covered each centre, numerous departments and many aspects of the Company through the years. We suspect that many people will say 'I did'nt know they did that.' Well we hope so:P
I enjoy providing talks on the history of Butlin's and have just written a book on the Company history - Butlin's 75 years of fun.
sendacott
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby Joker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Pre ordered mine from Amazon should be waiting for me when I get back from the Skeg 75th bash.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752458639/ref=oss_product

£ 9.09 with free delivery (Bargain)

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sendacott » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:25 am

good to hear you have already booked your book

We will be at Skegness for the Premier week from 4th April - may meet up :P
sendacott
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby Leenaz12 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:52 pm

Its really a great book I find it every where but can't get it at all .!!!

Beaver Club

Return to Any Questions