Joker and Pushbuttons day trip to the "P" place

Moderator: deelieta

Joker and Pushbuttons day trip to the "P" place

Postby pushbutton » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:25 am

While I was in Britain a few weeks ago, Joker and I decided to venture where no true Butlins fan should ever dare to tread (the "P" place in Prestatyn).

Joker drove up for the day all the way from Blackpool, while I was staying in North Wales with my grandparents at the time so didn't have quite as far to drive (although we met in Llandudno first and it was well over an hours drive from there).

So as I said we met in Llandudno, where we had a good look around the hotel and took some photos (and mine are on my faulty SD card so I'm hoping Jokers photos are ok and maybe Joker might upload them for us?)

We did then intend to go on the Butlins-style chairlifts that are next to the hotel but as luck would have it they closed due to inclement weather just as we arrived (I'm not joking either!)

So off we set to that place Joker can only call "Freds gaff", and which I try to avoid mentioning too. I was quite looking forward to a good day out as I had been told by "Bluecoat Lizzie" on the pontins website live chat facility that day visitors were welcome to stay till the end of the evening entertainment, and that the evenings entertainment still ends with "Goodnight Campers" being sung!

We eventually found P_____S only to be turned back at the gate because the camp had been hired exclusively for the last few days to some religeous mob, and everything was currently closed. C L O S E D IN THE MIDDLE OF JUNE? Can you believe it? No wonder they're not doing too well!

So not to be deterred we set off for the nearby Haven park, thinking any holiday camp is better than no holiday camp, well maybe at least. Well our luck was no better at Haven because we were again turned back at the gate, told that day visitors were not allowed in because it was "company policy".

IT IS NOT COMPANY POLICY!!! We have been allowed into Haven parks at Primrose Valley (Filey) and Hafen Y Mor (Pwllheli) as day visitors without a problem. Why are these camps (Pontins and Haven) not letting day visitors in? They are turning away paying customers as we would have spent money in the camp if we had been let into either.

In the end we had to settle for a brief look around another much smaller camp we came across on our way to Rhyl, called "Lyons Robin Hood" holiday park near Rhyl. It was interesting to see that even this small camp had quite a few older style facilities that were clearly based on Butlins.
http://www.lyonsholidayparks.co.uk/robi ... lities.php

Again I did take numerous photos but I appear to have lost them unless I get good news tomorrow from the data recovery centre which I have left my SD card with. Joker do you have any photos of that park you could upload for me please?

After Lyons we made our way to the deserted wasteland that is Ryhl. We found only one little cafe there and the staff member who served us overheard me say to Joker that we were lookiing for a decent place to get some dinner, and said to me "You'd be lucky to find anything decent around here"!!! He was right though. What a dump!

Oh well. At least we got a really good look around the many stairs and corridors of the Llandudno grand hotel.
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Memories of Ryhl.

Postby frank worrall » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Pushbutton, my Mum Dad and I when very young went to Robinhood Camp for our once a year holiday. You could walk across the road through a golf course up to the sea wall where there were fortifications ready to repel the enemy (now we just loose at football to them) I was born in 1942 before you say which war was it, was it the vikings or the spaniards both lots better than us at football of course. Back to Robinhood Camp, we rented a chalet from Mrs Maddocks who came from near Liverpool, it backed onto a main railway line and I would watch the trains go by late at night. Ryhl was a hive of industry in those days, a large funfair at the far end with a wonderful small railway which ran round the outside of the fair. The highlight of my holiday in those days was to go to Uncle Macs on the sea front where one would dangle a small fishing rod and line into the rotating water and if lucky would catch a silver (metal) fish through a ring in its nose and win a prize. Mrs Maddocks died and went to that great place in the sky where Liverpudlions go to, so we started going to Butlins, which of course shaped my life for the future, and led to me being a Redcoat, so Robinhood Camp and Ryhl bring back many happy memories, and would love to see any photos if possible. Would like to know what happened to B.M Bear as we miss him and his little habits.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Joker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 am

Some of the better photos I took !

Llandudno on a busy Saturday in June

The ex Butlins Grand Hotel

View from the top floor

Site of the Llandudno Pier Pavilion Theatre, destroyed by fire in 1994

On the subject of fires, fire broke out at the Grand on April 2nd 1992

Rhyl ( thought I took more than this )

The Sun Centre mainly used by the Seagulls for target practice

One of the better looking B & B's

Lyons Robin Hood holiday park

Seeing as we couldn't get into Fred's Gaff believe me it wasn't for want of trying we have no pictures. Wouldn't be shocked if they were tipped off we were coming :D

Same with Haven. What are they playing at turning customers away. would guess we would of parted with £40-£50 between us as we did at Pwllheli last year not including the day visitor fee.

As for BM Bear he is partying in sunny Blackpool making the most of our new Wetherspoons, The Albert and the Lion. Named after the monologue by Marriott Edgar or as they are arguing it should be The Lion and Albert.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks for posting the pics Alex. I had no luck with my faulty SD card so it's good that you took those!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Oh to be so young.

Postby frank worrall » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 pm

I think perhaps they wouldnt let you in to those venues because you hadnt your parents with you. Oh to look so young as you two do, I might even say virile as well but that might be stretching it of course (note the envy) but then I look at my bus pass, and realise that growing old does have its advantages. Thanks for those photos they were great, obviously Robin Hood Camp looked different in the 50's and how did you get those photos from above the Grand Hotel, were you in a hot air balloon? and give our best regards to BM Bear. Our folk friends still ask about him as well as the many bar maids he made a big impression on.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Joker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:28 pm

The pictures were taken through this window. It was a bit of a challenge getting up there, the Grand is like a rabbit warren with the decor getting older and more basic the higher up you get.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby minehead forever » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:27 pm

great pics alex the 2nd pic of the chalets at robin hood park look a little basic,they remind me of small units on an industrial estate,definitley not nice and welcoming like what we're uded to at butlins.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby TheWindsorOne » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:54 am

Hello Joker

I stayed at the Grand (Llandudno) twice last year. What a blast from the past. The hotel is in a great location but seems to aim for the retired generation. This is a great shame as they have loads of amenities on the doorstep, the pier with amusements, the beach, a mini train that takes you to the South Shore and of course the chairlift etc etc all of which is ideal for families.

Photos are super!

Sue
Pwllheli 1980-81
Windsor Dining Hall
TheWindsorOne
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby pushbutton » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 am

I have an Aunt called Sue who worked in the Pwllheli windsor dining hall! I believe that was in the mid 1960s though so you probably wouldn't know her.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 pm

probably a good job you never got into pontins prestayn.just watched the watchdog complaints film on you tube,what a dump,it might of ruined what looked to be a nice day out.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 am

I can't believe Joker and I did pretty much the exact same thing again today. We started at Llandudno but the chairlifts were closed (despite the perfect weather) so we then went to Pontins and Haven Prestatyn, and got turned away from both. Worst bit was we once again ended up in Ryhll of all places, and spent nearly an hour there wondering around dodging the holiday camp hooligans (well that's what the lady in one of the many charity shops we went in called them) trying to find our cars.

As much as I enjoy these trips I think next time we might try a different camp for a change.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm

what a shame you couldn't get on the chairlift,yesterday was lovely,so the could hardly use inclement weather as an excuse.
i always thought the haven sites were pretty much open house,so surprised you couldn't get in.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm

That's the crazy thing about Haven.

- At Primrose Valley they don't even have a manned gate, you can just go in.

- At Pwllheli the gate is manned but they allow day visitors and they're not too strict about who they let in.

- At Prestatyn they don't let anyone in unless you have a booking, and they really are super-strict with several security guards at the gate giving you dirty looks before you even get anywhere near the gate!

Just like Butlins, it's different rules at different camps under the same company. Crazy!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Kenjifujima » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 am

it might of ruined what looked to be a nice day out.
Kenjifujima
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Return to Butlins Chat