Film featuring Butlins, Bognor Regis

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

Film featuring Butlins, Bognor Regis

Postby Nostalgic Woman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:28 am

Does anyone know the name of the British fifties/sixties (not quite sure) film that is a story about a London lass who goes on holiday to Butlins Bognor Regis and has a romance there? It's a black and white film and I think it's about a biker guy and his mates but there's a bit in it when they go on holiday to Butlins and it is obviously filmed at Bognor as I went there every year for about six years so would recognise it any day!

I'd love to get the film - if I remember rightly, it doesn't have any mega-famous English actors in it and it's not that brilliant a film, I just want to reminisce.
Thanks
Nostalgic Woman
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby Joker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's The Leather Boys, its about a couple who get married and go to Butlins Bognor on honeymoon also some of the scenes were shot in the Butlin recreation shelter (was like an indoor amusement park) that was on Bognor Promenade.

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0057244/

As for stars

Johnny Briggs, Mike Baldwin in Corrie
Dudley Sutton, Tinker in Lovejoy
Colin Campbell was in Nuns on the run
According to the cover

Have Fun

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Ebay search LINK

I got my copy off ebay some time ago, not the best quality, but who's watching the plot when we have old Butlins in the background. :D

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Couple of screen captures
Attachments
2 [640x480].jpg
2 [640x480].jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 8072 times
1 [640x480].jpg
1 [640x480].jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 8072 times
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather Boys?

Postby Nostalgic Woman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:21 am

Great. I'll have a look.

"Who cares about the plot with old Butlins in the background." Couldn't have put it better. I wonder how many people buy this DVD because of the Butlins footage? I bet it's a lot.

Thanks for posting the stills - the old reception building. Now a lump is forming - the most important building on the site but only visited twice - the first time on arrival when you're really excited and you had to queue to get your keys but then that horrible day on the last day that you have to queue to give your keys back.

I remember that horrible last day saying goodbye to all the lovely friends we'd made. Bognor Butlins was truly a great place in the seventies!

Thanks for the memories!
Nostalgic Woman
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Return to Any Questions