Beachcomber and South Seas Bars

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

Beachcomber and South Seas Bars

Postby blue.octopus » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:21 am

Hello,

This is my first post so let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I live in East London. I'm sad to say that I've never been to a Butlins camp - looking at the photographs and the John Hinde book I can honestly say it looks like I really missed out.

At the moment I am researching the history and impact of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture in the UK. I was first drawn to Butlins after learning of the Beachcomber Bars and also the South Seas Bar in Clacton. I would be very interested in learning more about these great places, sadly now all gone. Was there ever anything like this at Mosney or Pwllheli? Did any of the hotels have a Polynesian room or bar?

I hope one day to get all these notes in to print - either a magazine or book - depending on how much material I get.

Please post or contact me if you have any great recollections, memories, stories or other information on them. I also have a small and growing collection of memorabilia and would be interested in adding to that as well.

Many thanks

Andrew
blue.octopus
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby blue.octopus » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Further to this, I was wondering if anyone could recall the plates and glasses used in the the Beachcomber Bars.

I've seen a small souvenir plate/ashtray
and wondered if there were larger plates to match, or in fact if there were proper ashtrays.

I've also seen these mugs
and wondered if there were other mugs or fancy glasses for the cocktails?

Any information much appreciated.

Andrew
blue.octopus
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Return to Any Questions