Ayr mid-late seventies/early eighties

Tell us about your Memories of Butlins

Moderator: deelieta

Ayr mid-late seventies/early eighties

Postby amanda123 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 am

Ah the fond memories I have of this place! Where to start? How about something random like the bin in the shape of a pig that snorted when you put rubbish in it!?

Being embarrassed that my mum entered "Miss She" and really happy that she won! - we then won a free trip to Blackpool Butlins Hotel for the final!

My elder sisters fancying the redcoats - one looked like adam ant I recall.

I remember the dancing competition in the Stuart Ballroom and being tapped on the shoulder (obviously not oood enough dancing :( ) The Alice in Wonderland little tram at the indoor section of the shows. Sneeking down to the Beach Comber (?) over the little bridge...

space hopper race (i would have won but never brought mine) Getting a chalk drawing of myself done in the stewart ballroom down from the amusements. P23 I think one of the chalets we stayed in was...

The "Bisto Kid" competition - I happily never won that one - A larger girl wearing a swimsuit and trainers I think did :) My sister has a pic of herself in the older competition and we were a bit jealous of a girl with long hair that she wore to the side (very sophisticated).

The giant of course - it always filled me with excitement to see it - the flags all up going into the car park. The redcoats seemed like famous people to me! Having to buy a pair of granny shoes at the shop as they never had any fashionable ones! The ski lift. All jumbled up good nostalgic feelings! I would love to do a virtual tour of it alas we never had the technology back in those days - only in my 30's but feeling old now! :)
amanda123
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Re: Ayr mid-late seventies/early eighties

Postby pushbutton » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 pm

amanda123 wrote:Ah the fond memories I have of this place! Where to start? How about something random like the bin in the shape of a pig that snorted when you put rubbish in it!?

Being embarrassed that my mum entered "Miss She" and really happy that she won! - we then won a free trip to Blackpool Butlins Hotel for the final!

My elder sisters fancying the redcoats - one looked like adam ant I recall.

I remember the dancing competition in the Stuart Ballroom and being tapped on the shoulder (obviously not oood enough dancing :( ) The Alice in Wonderland little tram at the indoor section of the shows. Sneeking down to the Beach Comber (?) over the little bridge...

space hopper race (i would have won but never brought mine) Getting a chalk drawing of myself done in the stewart ballroom down from the amusements. P23 I think one of the chalets we stayed in was...

The "Bisto Kid" competition - I happily never won that one - A larger girl wearing a swimsuit and trainers I think did :) My sister has a pic of herself in the older competition and we were a bit jealous of a girl with long hair that she wore to the side (very sophisticated).

The giant of course - it always filled me with excitement to see it - the flags all up going into the car park. The redcoats seemed like famous people to me! Having to buy a pair of granny shoes at the shop as they never had any fashionable ones! The ski lift. All jumbled up good nostalgic feelings! I would love to do a virtual tour of it alas we never had the technology back in those days - only in my 30's but feeling old now! :)

Which camp was this?
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the forum.

I only went to Ayr once as Butlins in the early 80's, and have memories of the chairlift being very important addition to the camp as the walk up that hill was a killer. I also remember with fondness the miniature railway by the boating lake, and late evening playing on the playground after dark with all the other kids.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:28 am

Oh silly me! It actually said Ayr in the title of the thread!!!
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Return to Memories