Filey lighting board gaiety theatre

Tell us about your Memories of Butlins

Moderator: deelieta

Filey lighting board gaiety theatre

Postby Joker » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Yet again SkegRed posts some more quality Pictures.

What I would like to know is what all the wheels, leavers and handles do?

Looks a little more complicated than flicking a few switches and the interval :)

Joker
Attachments
filey_grandmaster_lighting_board_gaiety_theatre.jpg
with_stagemanager_terry_fullwood_on_right_and_the_theatre_electrician_operating
filey_grandmaster_lighting_board_gaiety_theatre.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 22563 times
Last edited by Joker on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SkegRed » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:34 am

Alex(Joker)
The main Wheel once you have locked the levers in "Dims" the stagelighting or "brings" it up.

There are/was four over head lighting battens each with 4 circuits we used open White,Blue.Red,Amber(you could of course use any colours,and also the footlights had 4 circuits in.

All those levers with the black tops you could lock on ,but you had to put the circuit in gear so they went out with the Wheel (or bring the lighting up)
Looking at this Filey board it looks like it was only posed for the photo as l cannot see any Black knobs locked on (the knobs want turning diagonally to lock on)",so if you turned the Main wheel nothing would move.

Also on the right hand side of the Lighting board (at Skegness anyway) the levers and switches were for Front of House Lighting, lots of spotlights over the auditorium high up,also spotbars with spotlights on hanging in the flys over the stage,behind No4 Lighting Batten and in front of No1 Lighting Batten .
All those switches were two way

The house lights were on a dimmer on the wall near where the Winch was for the HouseTabs l had to open the House Tabs too it l hadnt a cue to open the show.

Also in a small room behind the board was lots of Dimmers they used to operate all the 100s of multi coloured lights around the Proscenium arch (Around the opening of the stage) and Skegness had a very large opening.

l had to put them on before the show and make sure l swithed them off before the show as they were a quite a sight to see.

One night l forgot and that particular night Billy Butlin was out front
He came tearing round backstage and shouted up to me to switch those( b-----y,or blooming, cant remember lights off)as the audience are looking at them instead of the show,

A little piece of useless information l used to work the same or similar lighting board at Golders Green Hippodrome in the 50s

l have added Lincoln Theatre Royals Lighting board to show what they use today (My friend Deputy SM ,Myk is trying it out before moving it out into the auditorium)
lt shows the size and does all what the Grand Master did and more

You should now be able to operate it yourself now Joker

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:38 am

The Lighting Board at My local theatre l wanted to show to compare what todays can do and more even being a lot smaller,
Attachments
Gemini Lighting Board Lincoln Theatre Royal.JPG
Gemini Lighting Board Lincoln Theatre Royal.JPG (130.63 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby pushbutton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Well I never imagined when I was enjoying the shows in the gaeity that the lighting was so complex to control!

I would imagine it's a whole lot easier these day, as it's all probably computerised and pre-programmed.
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Lights at Filey Theatre

Postby rustythestarlight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39 am

I had no idea it was this complicated, i'd need a map to the switches.

is there any more info on the Filey Gaiety. I've never seen a photo of the entrance, or the interior, I remember the entrance being undercover and it had the fabric covered ceiling with large plaster images of people dancing on the walls and when you were let out of the right hand side doors you ended up near the kids play area! I would love to see a photo of this.

also am i right:
The Gaiety Theatre for the Main shows

The Empire theatre (North) was the children's theatre (Which used to be the other side of the pool)

My questions:
What was the empire theatre used for before being turned into the kids theatre?

When the transition happened: what was the South theatre used for?

I know it became the 913 club, but did this happen straight away?

and before the Gaiety theatre was built, were the shows held in the North and South theaters very different from each other?
Last edited by rustythestarlight on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustythestarlight
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:07 pm

David(rustythestarlight) if it had been Skegness instead of Filey l could have answered ALL your questions as l was there 6 seasons and must have done over a 1,000 shows on that Skegness Lighting board,which is exactly the same as the Filey one,and knew every brick in the Skegness Gaiety.

There is one BygoneButlins member who l know does know ALL about FILEY GAIETY Theatre and Camp and that is my friend TERRY FULLWOOD he was Stage Manger at Filey Gaiety for years(also at Playhouse Skegness).

Hoping he'll see this posting and get in touch.

The Strand Grand Master Lighting Board might look complicated but it saved me twice from geting dismissed from Butlins,as no one was allowed on it unless authorised.
ln my Redcoat days you were dismissed if caught with a young female Camper in your chalet at night well l was caught twice having a young lady in for "coffee"BUT the STRAND GRANDMASTER LIGHTING BOARD saved me,
Ah, Memories! Memories,

Skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

dismissed from Butlins!!!! NOT PROUD OF IT, but a good story

Postby rustythestarlight » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

well, I did get caught!
I was seen leaving Red Camp, trying to sneek behind the bushes at Pwhelli early in the morning to go 'swanning' at breakfast FORGETTING i was wearing bright red (Plonker)!
Thing was....I had been in the office twice for this before as I was never in my chalet...the pickings of the staff were slim, wasn't my fault :lol:

anyway with only a week left to go, I had to hand my Reds in! Go out with a bit of drama, thats what I say.

really enjoyed my time there though, Fab in the redcoat show , was in the resident revue and had made lots of friends, was popular with the kids and parents as I was the kids Uncle (which didn't help matters!!)

Hey Ho!!
Didn't stop them re-employing me though, I was a waiter at the Metropole, Blackpool for a while, a big hit with the guests as i gave them extra helpings and extra gâteaux, My Manager and Hotel Manager kept asking me why I didn't want to be a redcoat...I kept quiet!

I'm really on this site though to remember my holidays as a kid, not whilst I was in employment...but I'm happy to talk about it!
I was there when the Roller-coaster (boomerang) attendant was killed jumping across the platform and my Mum worried as on the news they said a Redcoat.

thanks for your reply.
The Skegness Theatre was my Favorite, It should of been a listed building. I never saw the revolving stage revolve in the 70's/80's and never saw the lights around the proscenium. I have some pics (that once scanned will be on here,) they show Barbara Windsor in a crap play.
I always remember when the safety curtain went up it caught the house tabs and at the very top was a arm and hand trying to tug the curtain off during the show, now that was entertaining!
rustythestarlight
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm

Enjoyed reading of your experiences as a Redcoat,get that scanner of yours working as l know bygone members and myself would love to see some photos.

Re the revolving stage that was added in 1961-3 ,l remember it used to stick lots of times till they got it right.

lf l hadnt any opening lighting cues l used to winch open the House Tabs,as the winch(hand winch) was on the Lighting board.

Also remember an act called Tommy Wallis he had a xylophone act and spent hundreds of £'s adding UV lighting,and flash boxes and gadgets to it, and he used to leave it on the OP side of the stage in a corner near the Safety curtain.
One day when the stagemanger opened the theatre
he saw the balance weights on the Safety curtain had all dropped on his
Xylophone and flattened it ,poor Tommy (a smashing bloke) had to use a
normal one for rest of the season,he married Beryl a Revue Dancer in the show and later l saw them lots on TV and on the bill with lots of top names which he(they ) deserved ,and later Beryl was made Queen Ratling the other year of the Water Rats(l think it was Queen Rat a high prestegious position),

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

What great memories.

Postby frank worrall » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Certainly takes one back, back stage of course. We had a revolving stage at Barry Island in 1969, never thought of anyone having to hand turn it, perhaps it was electric, I think perhaps it was Billies newest theatre??? it seamed to be pretty up to date. Used to drive my Ford Anglia (Thames for the purest amongst you) van on stage for the start of the Redcoat Show. The curtain would go up my lights would sweep a darkened auditorium and the Reds would get bundles of newspaper out the back and burst into song. Extra, extra read all about it, the Redcoat show is back in town. A cracking start to a cracking show. I would then be pushed backwards off stage while the show went on.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:31 pm

ALL Revolving stages would be driven by electric motors,come on Frank l cant imagine any one turning it by Hand!!!!!

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

you could do it.

Postby frank worrall » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Ive seen the size of your muscles, and those big feet of yours. You could turn anything if you put your mind to it. BM. Bear says you were always a bit of a turn, and get saving for Scarborough.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SueJ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:31 pm

What year was that pic?

I was lighting 77/78 and I'd love to catch up with friends.
SueJ
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby SkegRed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:33 pm

SueJ
The photo of the Strand Grand Master Lighting Board at Filey was taken in 1974 when my friend Terry Fullwood last worked at Butlins Filey.(hes on the photo)

l worked the same Strand Grand Master Board But at Butlins Skegness much earlier in the 60s.

lnteresting to know you were also in to Stage Lighting ( Lighting Designing today),l operated the Skegness Lighting every night as well as being a Full Time Redcoat in the 50s and 60s, for 6 seasons
Before that worked on Stage Lighting at my Lincoln Theatre Royal for years also Golders Green Hippodrome and Chelsea Palace,the latter two no longer here as theatres.

Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Re: you could do it.

Postby rocky mason » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:56 pm

frank worrall wrote:Ive seen the size of your muscles, and those big feet of yours. You could turn anything if you put your mind to it. BM. Bear says you were always a bit of a turn, and get saving for Scarborough.

Hi fella's, I think I can fill in a few blank bits about Filey! I started there in 1957 as a Redcoat boxing Instructor. Was Chief Red from 59 to 62 and then moved around the camps on management.
Terry was at Filey before my return about 1976 and the Grand master was still operational then. In about 1979 we had a small pre-select board installed, similar to the one on Andy's photo. They were wonderful and most finished up out front. Ours was put in the old Lime/Projection box and the operator could see everything that was happening on stage!! I really enjoyed Andy's most accurate and professional decription of the old grand master!!
The entrance to the theatre was at the end of a covered arcade. You did go out of the RH doors to the play area and putting green.
The Gaiety was for the main shows, Revue,Redcoat, Visiting Variety.
The kids theatre , nearer the Viennese ballroom, used to be the main Gaiety theatre.
The Empire was originally the Repertory Theatre, for 12 different plays over two weeks. It faded when TV came .
After this it became the theatre for the 913 Club and the Funny Bone Gang kids shows.... Cheers all. Rocky
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Re: you could do it.

Postby rocky mason » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 pm

rocky mason wrote:
frank worrall wrote:Ive seen the size of your muscles, and those big feet of yours. You could turn anything if you put your mind to it. BM. Bear says you were always a bit of a turn, and get saving for Scarborough.

Hi fella's, I think I can fill in a few blank bits about Filey! I started there in 1957 as a Redcoat boxing Instructor. Was Chief Red from 59 to 62 and then moved around the camps on management.
Terry was at Filey before my return about 1976 and the Grand master was still operational then. In about 1979 we had a small pre-select board installed, similar to the one on Andy's photo. They were wonderful and most finished up out front. Ours was put in the old Lime/Projection box and the operator could see everything that was happening on stage!! I really enjoyed Andy's most accurate and professional decription of the old grand master!!
The entrance to the theatre was at the end of a covered arcade. You did go out of the RH doors to the play area and putting green.
The Gaiety was for the main shows, Revue,Redcoat, Visiting Variety.
The kids theatre , nearer the Viennese ballroom, used to be the main Gaiety theatre.
The Empire was originally the Repertory Theatre, for 12 different plays over two weeks. It faded when TV came .
After this it became the theatre for the 913 Club and the Funny Bone Gang kids shows.... Cheers all. Rocky
Talking about the repertory plays in the old Empire theatre Frank, brought to mind an interestng point! We did 12 different plays over the two week period and so what a grounding for young actors just starting in the business. Having to learn your parts in 12 plays!! John Inman, from TV's "Are You Being Served" His catch phrase was "I'm free!!" John was a juvenile at Filey in 1957/8 and that's how he started his career. Then we had Maurice and Mona Parsons, who were Alan Straford Johns, mother and father-in- law..Alan was Inspector Barlow! Maurice got a good part in Crossroads!! Those were the days alright!!!
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Next

Return to Memories