pontins blackpool

Moderator: deelieta

Postby Joker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Better late than never.

Heres a few pictures of the local park I pass on the way to Pontins

I wonder if they are keeping the Nisa as i'm sure it would do well on the estate :)
Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby chopper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Stumbled across this by accident trying to find out what was happening to the old place! I knew it was shutting, but had hoped that maybe someone was going to take it on.
As a child i was born in the midlands but when my parents split around 1980 we moved to the north with my mum. To make life easier for my dad he used to pick us up enroute to Blackpool where we used to spend a week at Pontins. I can't be clear on the times, but it was probably every year for about 10 years. I've got to say that these were the best holidays i ever had.

To clear up a few points raised earlier, the swimming pool was to the left as mentioned. Originally this was a basic swimming pool, but later had slides and water guns added. I have a picture of me with David Wilky (you may remember him?) at the pool. This area (north?) was the main entertainment hub, and also had the Blue Coats accomodation.
Joined onto the pool was the table tenis room, where my dad won many a tournament.

Heading from the pool towards the main road was the family entertainment building which i think was the Princes/Princess Theatre. This was a great multi layered venue where we saw some great entertainment and the odd celebrity of the day (Tom O'Connor and Derek Batey spring to mind).

Back towards the center of this area was a large entertainment complex which had the arcade (a must for any boy my age), a traditional ball room (for the OAPs) and an over 21/25s 'Nightspot' (could only dream of going there!!).

To the rear of this was an open field where i once once the Donkey Derby. I have photos and rosettes to prove this!

Further to the south was the concrete raised 'boating lake' and next to this was the restaurant, as this site was full board.
These days i like to cook and would no doubt turn my nose up at the food, but my memories are that we always had a great meal there. You stood in line, then helped yourself. Later on they added an omelete bar and a continental breakfast bar, incase you didn't fancy the full English.

In the centre of the site was the shop (which can still be seen blue on the photos) and i think there was off the main square the snooker hall, Crocodile Club and reception. Eventually there was a chip shop added, but seemed pointless as the rest of the food was free!!

The southern area was mainly accomodation, but the main footy pitch was there for the 'Dads V Lads' matched. There may also have been an old knackered crazy golf there too.

All in all it makes me sad to see this place go. But that responsibility was with the owners to look after the site. Some friends of mine went about 5 years ago for a weekend and they were ready to leave after one night due to the standard of the accomodation.

Its a shame as i have such great memories.....
chopper
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby pushbutton » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:43 am

Thanks Chopper. That's a brilliant review and really gives me an insight into how the camp was at its peak.

I think I was wrong with my earlier prediction about demolition being complete by Christmas. There's still quite a few buildings left and especially with all the snow I'd say it will be a few months yet before there's nothing left.

By the way can anyone tell me what those round lumps are that can be seen to the left of photos 5 and 6 in the latest lot of photos? I'm referring to the line of 6 green things, 4 of which have something on top of them that almost looks like a small tree or other plant.

I'm curious about why those have been left in place when everything around them has been obliterated.

As for Nisas, presumably it will be demolished and they're just using it as a place for site security to be based in for now, or for storage. It would be a nice touch though if they left it in place and incorporated it into the new development (wishful thinking as I'm sure they won't).
Last edited by pushbutton on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Chopper, welcome to the forum.

As Pushbutton has said thanks for the write-up.

Feel free to post your photos of your time at Pontins.

Push the items you point out in this weeks photos are planters with a shrub in them HERE is a FULL SIZE version of the picture just give it chance to load as it's 5MB (Looks like it's been lost in the abyss of the world wide web)

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I thought that was probably what they were Joker, but it's strange that they've been left there when everything else has gone from around them. Any idea why?
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:19 am

Yikes! No update this week? Surely not.

Come on Joker mate. You know I only live for my weekly dose of demolition photos. I'd be there taking them myself if I wasn't so far away!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:04 am

theres nothing really changed this week as far as i could see as i past on thursday,they're concentrating on clearing the north part of the site.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:31 am

So you mean they're just removing rubble from already demolished buildings rather than demolishing anything else at the moment then?
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 pm

as far as i could see yes,theres a machine to crush the rubble,and its in one big pile,the excavators were clearing the remains of the rubble around the perimeter were the chalets were,i didn't stop to look at the south side of the site but from what i saw i couldn't see any fresh demolition.alex may correct me when he gets up the sand dunes,but unfortunately i didn't have the time to stop and have my usual nosey.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:25 pm

past a few hours ago but again couldn't stop due to amount of work to do,thought 1 or 2 chalet blocks may of gone to the south of the shop,but other than that they're still clearing the rubble from the north side of the site.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:49 pm

Was also there a few hours ago, although I didn't manage to get out the car owing to a bad back.

Stop flapping Push I had a plan B. By sending Ja my youngest up the dunes.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:33 pm

Ahhhh! At last I can breath again!

Maybe not for much longer though if all this demolition of holiday camps continues. Bloody hell we've got Pontins Blackpool going, 3 buildings at Minehead going, god knows how many chalet lines at Pwllheli going, and the imminent threat of 5 more chalet lines at Bognor to bite the dust soon too.

What a bloody nightmare! :evil:
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Ja at work.

Update later

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:12 am

This weeks pictures

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:46 pm

Looks like they have had an extended christmas break as not much has changed.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Pontins