Butlins is NOT all tarmac and carparks.

Moderator: deelieta

Butlins is NOT all tarmac and carparks.

Postby Joker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm

In response to comments that Butlins has removed all the colour / Flower beds and replaced them with Car-parks.

Pictures are of Skegness taken Feb 2008

End of the Standard Chalet lines

Standard Chalet Lines

Peter Pan Railway

Peter Pan Railway

Main Car Park

Roundabout at the Main Gate

Next to the Bookies

Side of the Front Room

Garden to the right of the new hire shop

Garden to the right of the new hire shop

Garden oppersit Reds

Roundabout at the Main Gate

Now I know it's not (or will be in the summer) the floral display we all remember, I expect the budget has been cut as the Gardeners are using a lot of low maintenance plants and bark to stop the weeds.

Bourne if you are reading this it wouldn't cost a fortune to add a sunbathing lawn/Rose garden. Rear of the new mini golf maybe a kiosk selling ice-cream drinks etc. You could call it the Bygones sun lawn :lol:

Have Fun !!!

Joker
Last edited by Joker on Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby minehead forever » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:48 am

thanks joker for picking up on this.this is the reason why i refuse to use the other butlins site now,too many idiots are obsessed with concrete and tarmac,bourne are trying very hard with the landscaping,they need praise for bringing back the gardens,not hammering like some morons do.
it was rank that cleared all the landscaping and beautiful gardens of the billy butlin era.at least bourne are trying too make things look nice.
mineheads landscaping looks lovely in peak summer.
thanks for the pics alex.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby SkegRed » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Good to see the photos Joker,hoping you and your sons had a Great holiday,sorry l couldnt get but looking forward to a good chat in May

Well said Minehead Forever l too am fed up with those who cant or dont want to see further than the end of their noses ,all this talk about concrete and tarmac ,theres only tarmac and concrete where its needed
What kind of Camper/Guest goes on holiday looking for tarmac and concrete ???,the mind boggles,!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Theres still life out there.

Postby frank worrall » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Theres still life out there, first very good photos Joker, second glad theres still people who want a bit of colour in their lives, third I hope it was my comments on this site which got those green fingures twitching. If Bourne are doing what you say, thats good news. Why dont they do as Local Councils have to do in these days of cut backs, and use private sponsorship to provide the horticultural colour that we all want, at no cost to themselves, and brighten up the camps. Keep the green revolution going lads and lasses.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby catmad » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:13 pm

minehead forever wrote:thanks joker for picking up on this.this is the reason why i refuse to use the other butlins site now,too many idiots are obsessed with concrete and tarmac,bourne are trying very hard with the landscaping,they need praise for bringing back the gardens,not hammering like some morons do.
it was rank that cleared all the landscaping and beautiful gardens of the billy butlin era.at least bourne are trying too make things look nice.
mineheads landscaping looks lovely in peak summer.
thanks for the pics alex.

some of us from the other site, visit here too, and i for one do not take kindly being called an idiot and moron for voicing MY opinion on the photos that i checked out on this site, the photos of skegness show an awful lot of concrete and car parks. i understand that there are more cars now and need more spaces, all me and other 'IDIOTS' were saying, is that it was a shame, as it was so colourful in our day. i worked at skegness when you were in nappies, and fondly remember that time. not everything in life changes for the better, as no doubt you will find out one day when you are looking back, and i hope that nobody insults you for your views.

ps the new photos that you have posted look very nice joker, thanks.
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkeggyReds » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:14 pm

I am also one of the people that commented on "the other site"about the amount of car parking at Butlins Skegness. I have not been back there since my last season in 1981. I must admit that when i looked at the then & now photos on this site i was quite surprised at just how much the camp had changed.And no,i didn't expect it to still be the same as when i left. I realise that far more people now travel by car than in the "olden days". But surely there would have been enough land available to turn into car parks instead of forsaking certain buildings,pools and boating lakes.
I do not appreciate being called an idiot and a moron. We are all entitled to our own opinion without being called such things.
Eileen.
SkeggyReds
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Joker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:29 am

too many idiots are obsessed with concrete and tarmac,

Calm down catmad MF did say some of the idiots, I'm sure he is referring to one or two who will remain unnamed from the days when I was a Moderator on THAT site, before your time.

We are aiming to keep membership quality not quantity here.

Have Fun !!!

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby minehead forever » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 am

too clear the air after the misunderstanding of my reply to this topic,i was having a dig at 2 people who are totally obsessed with concrete and tarmac on the other site. i certainly didn't intend too class every user of the two sites as an idiot.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

misunderstanding

Postby catmad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 am

minehead forever wrote:too clear the air after the misunderstanding of my reply to this topic,i was having a dig at 2 people who are totally obsessed with concrete and tarmac on the other site. i certainly didn't intend too class every user of the two sites as an idiot.

ok. it seems it was just coincidental, that eileen and i voiced our concerns over the photos. but i have to say i still don't particularly like anonymous name calling for this very reason. as i said on bm. i am going in may and shall decide for myself, i am trying to go with an open mind i promise.
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby minehead forever » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am

just to put your mind at rest catmad i've sent you a pm with the the 2 usernames from the other site.i don't want to name them publically.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:36 am

its great to see a lot of flower beds and landscaping returning,but the biggest question is why did rank rip alot of them out anyway,minehead had some lovely flower beds along the strip in front of the regency,princess and beachcomber,but were all taken out in the early 90's.surely flowers are a cheap way of adding colour?
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby wizebuys1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 pm

minehead forever wrote:its great to see a lot of flower beds and landscaping returning,but the biggest question is why did rank rip alot of them out ?
just a thought but maybe in these days of pc correctness etc that they were scared of wait for it....................pollon pollution as with the neon lights etc being removed for light pollution etc???? :shock: :roll:
wizebuys1
913 Club
913 Club

Postby minehead forever » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:36 pm

it is a daft thought wize,but the way this countries gone nothing surprizes me.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby catmad » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:01 am

just a thought but maybe in these days of pc correctness etc that they were scared of wait for it....................pollon pollution as with the neon lights etc being removed for light pollution etc???? :shock: :roll:

maybe the fact that they could get sued if someone sneezed because of all the flowers, such is the world we live in now, nothing would suprise me anymore either. :lol:
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Butlinsforever » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:26 am

Maybe with all this in the news about carbon footprints etc butlins could get rid of some more tarmac and create bigger garden areas. probably a long way off but one day who knows. If you put the tarmac issue into perspective think butlins would get hundreds of complaints a year if people could not park near their chalets
Butlinsforever
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Next

Return to Butlins Chat