The best acts you have seen at Butlins.

Moderator: deelieta

The best acts you have seen at Butlins.

Postby frank worrall » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:14 pm

I must admit Ive always been too mean to pay out the extra cash for the late night shows, plus they finish well past my bedtime, (poor old !!!), so my best acts have always been the Repro shows (you know what I mean). Again from the 1960s to 1980s era. You must have seen a few good ones, what were they? Leaving out the Redcoat Show of course, which were always superb (bragging again).
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Frank, The best shows l was very lucky to see (and work) were the West End Musical Shows we had in the Butlin/Gaiety in the 50s
Oklahoma
Paint Your Wagon
Desert Song
Zip Goes A Million
Reluctant Heroes
The Hollow ,Hughie Greens show
The Revue shows were also first Class with Pro cast and 12 Marie De Vere Dancers and not forgetting the Celebrity Sunday Night Variety, John Pertwee,Jimmy Wheeler,Tommy Trinder,Arthur Worsley,Crazy Gang,
Oh! and Hopalong Cassidy and his horse(on stage)
Ah! Memories,Memories

Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Spoilt for choice

Postby frank worrall » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Yes Andy what great shows you saw or took part in.when I was a lad, I had a hop-along-casidy 6 shooter (gun) and used to annoy everyone by putting caps in (do you remember them) little black spots, and a roll of paper, which you put in the gun and they would explode when you pulled the trigger. I feel as though I am talking about ancient Britain here, no health and safety about then, you learnt by your mistakes. Went out with Mr Pertwee and a few other show biz personalaties to a local restaurant in Barry, after the shows they were in, as Reds used to do in those good old days.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 pm

l'm showing my age now Frank when l say l had a "Whip and Top" and a potato gun , and a cap gun,l was young myself once you know, l used to save "fag" cards,maybe before your time.then l discovered "Girls"
l see Jon Pertwee's son is well up in showbiz too l saw him in a TV program only last week
Happy days!!!!

Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Memories.

Postby frank worrall » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Yes Andy I collected fag cards as well, woodbines, craven A, park drive, capston and of course players. never smoked though, spent my little pocket money on train spotting books (I still wear an anorac) As for girls I found they would be more expensive than cigarettes, and kept on the rails with my train spotting (much safer).
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 am

Hi Frank, l posted you last week but on looking on Bygone Butlins today l cannot see it,
l must have had another of those Senior Moments and deleted it instead of sending it,("Whos a Stupid Boy ") as Capt mannering would say!!!!

l wanted to say although l've never collected Train numbers l do love Steam Trains in fact two weeks ago l took my eldest daughter to the Great Central Steam Railway at Loughboro
a Great day out ,my youngest daughter in America send me the trip for Christmas as she knew l liked Steam Trains, we had a delightful day a 4 course hot (not like the old days warm) meal on a 1st Class Steam Train,very nostalgic its worth a visit if you havent already
The train had 6 coaches 4 of them full of Diners and at £38 per head,and snow was on the ground so it must be very popular .
Looking forward to meeting you and Marion in just a few weeks its getting nearer isnt it.
Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby frank worrall » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi Andy, were looking forward to seeing you at Skegness,hope you dont challenge us to a game of tennis while were there, are there any courts now? Know the train journey your talking about, as our eldest son lives nearby and have spent many a happy day going up and down the line, and the engine shed at Loughborough is great, enough to make any anoraks knees turn to jelly. Still on the good will tour of Scotland, at Perth at the moment Edinburgh next. Told not to panic over the petrol shortage, so filled tank up, £56 worth, oh for the days of 5 bob a gallon. Take care.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Return to Butlins Chat