Now and then pictures

Moderator: deelieta

Now and then pictures

Postby Joker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:28 am

Having been directed to a post on our RIVAL :lol: site

Our Now and Then makes Butlins look like one big car-park !!!

Bear in mind, we only recreated the pictures available, Skegness is not one big car-park. Now most of the attractions are in and around the Skyline, although Bland on the outside is far from it inside.

I'm sure that some of the tarmac in the 50s / 60s is now for more pleasing to the eye.

The intention of the challenge was not to show how things have been replaced with tarmac but to show change.

I would expect that if my kids repeat the now and then in 20 years time things will look very different again.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

car park

Postby catmad » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:32 pm

hello joker, i see you have read our concerns on bm. i'm going to the red reunion in may, so will see for myself, so bear with us oldies. andy reassures us that it is still wonderful, and we do trust him. well done on this site, tho i'm still trying to work it all out. luv valda.xx :D :?:
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

It would be nice if you could do it

Postby frank worrall » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:40 pm

I think its a good idea showing now and then, would it be possible? to show the positions of Redcoats now and then. I think there might be more then than now, with the amount of Reds at the old venues, it would be interesting to compare them with todays venues (if you know what I mean). Anythings possible these days Ive been told.
frank worrall
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Now and Then

Postby markhaslam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi Joker,

"I would expect that if my kids repeat the now and then in 20 years time things will look very different again."

Lets hope so! :wink:

I know the butlins of the 70's/ 80's will never return - just a shame they had to destroy every bit of heritage it had!

I like to feel that i'm a forward thinker - but it seems we are always hasty in this country to rip down our history !

Butlins is now part of the fast food culture - pick it - bag it - pay for it - on yer bike!

Its all about the dollers. Thats what seems to be happening with everything at the moment.

I wont always come to the site and rant!!! promise :evil:
markhaslam
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby SkegRed » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Mark,
As a Redcoat for 6 seasons at Skegness in those Golden,Happy,Fantastic ,Wonderful,Never to be forgotten "Hi-De-Days" in the 50s and 60s and very little really changed in the 70s and early 80s,
l know we cant change todays Butlins BUT there is nothing wrong with todays Butlins .

l've been going every year since my Redcoat days for usually two holidays per year and many day visits with living so near Skegness,mostly with my daughter and Grandkids and they simply adore todays Butlins ,the Skyline Gang, Reds and Centre Stage
They dont know of my/our, Hi-De-Hi Butlins of course, so Todays Butlins is Wonderful to them as it will be to your children,when they look back on todays Butlins as we do our yesterdays,
Good to see you on bygone butlins,

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby kimptdarr22 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:25 am

i miss butlins of the 80s at skegg the chairlift old indoor pool with it windows under water whirr of the chairlift at 9.30 the old monorail you could lean out of gaiety theatre showing ghostbusters and the smell of the chalets plastic mattresses footsteps at night on the iron stairs!!
kimptdarr22
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

Now and Then Pictures

Postby Valerie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I have to agree, I think Skegness does look like one giant car park, I think it was criminal removing the gardens, playparks, roller rink, boating lake and I could go on. I think it would have been better if I had seen the changes as they happened, however I didnt, my last visit being in 1984 as a holiday maker, then 2002 as a member of staff. It was a shock. I know all the entertainment is in one area, but I think they ripped the heart out of the camp when they did what they did - such a shame.
Valerie
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

Postby kimptdarr22 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm

i saw a lot of changes from going on holiday in 1991.1997,working there in 1997 and 1998,saw them demolish the old red camp,demolish the gaiety(CRIMINAL!) :x saw the boating lake go,the old indoor pool with the windows underwater,the old pig and whistle,beer keller,even the very old chalets were basic half board is now!change will always happen for better or worse i love going in gold self catering rooms which i do every sept,butlins to me still has that magic it had when i was a kid and even now when i go,for a brief moment i can close my eyes and be back in 1985!! :D
kimptdarr22
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

Return to Butlins Chat