Then and Now

Moderator: deelieta

Then and Now

Postby lifeguard1 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi I have not been to Butlins Skegness for over thirty years.(shocking i know but the truth). Anyway I was looking through the then and now pics and honestly cant believe the changes. Years ago as you approached the camp in the car i remember getting so excited just seeing all the flags.The chairlift pylons seemed to stretch the length of the camp and of coarse the monorail way up high. Everything seemed big to me as a child but even now it still gets me a bit excited looking back. it was also great as kids being able to explore the camp on our own and not see our parents till meal times.I have fantastic memories of Skegness, just wandering all over the place. They still had two outdoor pools back then and they were spectacular all lit up at night. Sorry for rambling on but I wish i could go back to these days ha ha.This is a fab site and i hope you keep up the good work. thanks from an old Butlin fan.
lifeguard1
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby pushbutton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:10 am

How come you've not been for so long? Are you ever going to go back to Butlin's?

If so I would certainly reccommend trying Minehead. Of the 3 remaining camps Minehead has changed by far the least and although some things have been modernised, and unfortunately the chairlifts and monorails have gone, it's still very recognisable and most of the original buildings are still there and still serving their original purpose.

Hi de Hi!
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby lifeguard1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:19 pm

pushbutton wrote:How come you've not been for so long? Are you ever going to go back to Butlin's?

If so I would certainly reccommend trying Minehead. Of the 3 remaining camps Minehead has changed by far the least and although some things have been modernised, and unfortunately the chairlifts and monorails have gone, it's still very recognisable and most of the original buildings are still there and still serving their original purpose.

Hi de Hi!
lifeguard1
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

then and now

Postby lifeguard1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:25 pm

lifeguard1 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:How come you've not been for so long? Are you ever going to go back to Butlin's?

Hi de Hi!
thanks pushbutton for that. just replyed to your comment but not sure if i sent it correctly.I might try a butlin break next year.thanks again
lifeguard1
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby pushbutton » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:25 am

Next year being the 75th anniversary year will be a fantastic time to go. Redcoats will be back in the old-style uniforms too (so same as last time you went probably), the original logo is back in use, and there's supposed to be a lot of "retro style" entertainment and stuff going on.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby lifeguard1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:47 pm

pushbutton wrote:Next year being the 75th anniversary year will be a fantastic time to go. Redcoats will be back in the old-style uniforms too (so same as last time you went probably), the original logo is back in use, and there's supposed to be a lot of "retro style" entertainment and stuff going on.

Well that is goods news..... I seriously will consider going to minehead next year. thanks for the info.
lifeguard1
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby minehead forever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:14 pm

welcome lifeguard1,like my name suggests i can strongly recomend minehead to anyone.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby lifeguard1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 pm

minehead forever wrote:welcome lifeguard1,like my name suggests i can strongly recomend minehead to anyone.

Hi minehead forever, thanks for the welcome. Iused to know skegness very well as i went there every year for many years. Been to minehead once,but dont remember much about the camp tho. as its so long ago.I have read a lot about it on here through your posts and hopefully might get there in 2011. thanks again.
lifeguard1
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby pushbutton » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:43 pm

If you're ever going to go back to Butlin's I can't reccommend Minehead in 2011 strongly enough.

The other camps sadly have either closed or changed almost beyond recognition, but Minehead is still very recognisable and best of all it's the 75th anniversary so they'll be bringing back a lot of the old traditions you remember.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby kimptdarr22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:35 am

wont be at minehead for the 75th but will be at skegg seems apt as thats where it all started!! really looking forward to sum good old fashioned butlins again!!
kimptdarr22
Ex-Staff
Ex-Staff

Return to Butlins Chat