IMPORTANT NEWS about Minehead and Butlin's in general!!!

Moderator: deelieta

IMPORTANT NEWS about Minehead and Butlin's in general!!!

Postby pushbutton » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:02 pm

I've just heard a couple of shocking things from a very reliable source which I thought I should pass on immediately.
Make sure you're sitting down, as I'm afraid this will be a nasty shock!

Firstly, Richard Bates (Butlin's Managing Director) will be leaving Butlin's to take up a newly created post with Haven for 2011. I understand his replacement to be a Dermott King (sorry if that's not spelt correctly or if the name is wrong but that's what I've heard) and Dermott has spent the last 20 years with Haven.

Secondly, in January two of the original buildings at Minehead are to be demolished and landscaped over. This will be the Medical Centre at the front of the camp, and the building adjacent to the dining hall which contains the Laundrette and upstairs "the annexe". The annexe was never open to campers but was where visiting entertainers (including famous ones) would often be accommodated. It contains bedrooms, bathrooms and lounge areas.

I've heard the above from a very reliable source and it was also announced at the Gala Dinner to those who attended. I am therefore certain these are facts and not just rumours.

The above-mentioned two buildings are original parts of the Minehead camp, and have changed very little since they were first built. They are still serving their original purpose for the most part (although the annexe hasn't been used for many years admittedly but does contain massive amounts of history).

It is currently still possible to use a map from 1962 when the camp first opened and easily find almost everything on it. Minehead is unique in this regard as Skegness and Bognor have had their layouts changed almost beyond recognition.

By removing these two very significant original buildings, the original layout of the camp, as designed by Sir Billy Butlin, will forever be altered. Admittedly not massively, but still significantly. The camp as a whole is more or less still intact and the more this is eroded the worse off we all are.

I will post soon a few ideas on what actions we can take in protest against these unnecessary and foolish moves. I would strongly encourage you to do whatever you think might help. :!:
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Ok here's a few things we could all do to show our disapproval of these moves.

1. Post a message here on this thread.

2. Update your facebook status by copying and pasting the following:
"Butlin's are planning to DEMOLISH two significant buildings at Minehead this coming January. See the link below to find out more about this and what you can do to protest against it.
http://www.butlinsmemories.com/forum...ad.php?t=10974

3. Write to Butlin's Minehead to tell them why you don't want to see these buildings demolished.
Resort Director
Butlins Minehead Resort
Minehead
Somerset, TA24 5SH

4. Voice your concerns to West Somerset council by sending an email to
planningemail@westsomerset.gov.uk

5. Sign the online petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/butlins1/petition.html
Last edited by pushbutton on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:06 pm

i'm not overly worried by the loss of these buildings,yes they are original buildings but the medical building is in a prime place at the entrance to butlins and in all honesty has seen better days,i just hope they get rid of the old race track at the front,this well landscaped would make the entrance look really welcoming.
not fussed in the slightest about richard bates,hope david m goes with him.
now if we were talking about the demolition of the regency that really would be a disaster.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Has anyone thought about getting the Regency listed ?

http://services.english-heritage.org.uk ... plication/

Andy I think you have the best knowledge of the building to do the deed.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Nothing showing in West Somerset Council planning.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:21 am

I have been checking the west somerset council site you linked to on a weekly basis and as you said there's nothing.

I wonder if Butlin's actually even need planning permission to demolish buildings? I will endeavour to find out today.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:29 am

I think getting the regency listed is an excellent idea. However I have been assured (by the same person who told me the above news) that there are currently no plans to demolish the regency building.

Crazy Horse is currently being redecorated so that it can be used more for corporate events. The rehearsals room upstairs (Busbys disco) is being hired out to a local karate group too.

Although this private uses add nothing to the holiday experience, and are not what the building was intended for, at least they give me some confidence that the building is being used more and is making some money for Butlin's rather than just being left to rot.

I still think it should be listed though, as should Sir Billys Chalet, and of course the Princes and Gaeity Buildings. Ideally I'd like to see the whole camp listed if possible so the integrity of the layout cannot be dramatically changed.

Butlin's Minehead is unique in that it is the last remaining Butlin's camp that is still open as Butlin's and still pretty much as Sir Billy designed it. Surely that has to be sufficient grounds to have it listed.

Let's see what we can do.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:29 am

Thank you to the 9 people who have already signed the petition so far!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:51 am

If you have not yet signed the petition, and you do not wish to see the iconic medical centre, Rose Cottage, and Annexe buildings at Minehead demolished, please do sign it now.

The petition has been brought to the attention of English Heritage, and the resort director at Butlin's Minehead, so if it gets enough signatures it really could make a real difference and change the course of Butlin's history for the better!

http://www.petitiononline.com/butlins1/petition.html

Thank you for your support!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:33 pm

well the medical building and annexe are now butlins history,rose cottage still stands but would be very surprised if it makes xmas,in the great scheme of things losing the medical building is nothing compared what we stand to lose next.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:53 am

I have several very good reasons to believe that the back of red camp will be demolished this coming winter (the diagonal section which includes the very last original Butlin's chalet line toilet blocks).

It will be replaced by the "five lakes" development of wooden lodges set around small lakes.

To protect individials privacy I cannot say how exactly I have come to this conclusion, but I can say there are numerous reasons to believe this, including that the plans for this particular development were drawn up more than 3 years ago and all other indications are that it is pretty imminent.

I could be wrong. However anyone with a particularly strong desire to see these chalets again or to photograph them should certainly consider doing so in the next few months, in my opinion.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

i'm there a week on friday so will ask some of my sources if anything is happening this winter.
i'm a butlins traditionalist,and wishes bourne leisure had never of been thought of.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:14 am

See how many JCB's are parked round the back of the maintenance building.
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby minehead forever » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:19 pm

i'm planning a little snoop around the maintanence building one morning,mainly to see if i can spot the monorail carriage,if i spot any jcb's i will certainly report back.
i'm a butlins traditionalist,and wishes bourne leisure had never of been thought of.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:29 am

The picture someone posted on arsebook the other day looks like it in the yard by the maintenance building.
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Butlins Chat