75th anniversary get together

Moderator: deelieta

75th anniversary get together

Postby pushbutton » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:44 pm

As you may already know, Butlins will be celebrating their 75th anniversary in 2011, with strong rumours circulating amonst staff and campers that some of our much loved old Butlins traditions will be making a comeback, at least temporarily.

Butlins are to announce details of their celebrations in the next couple of weeks, and depending on what those details are my intention is to spend at least a week at Butlins Minehead sometime in 2011 to join in the celebrations. If at all possible I will do this on the week when the official celebrations are held, if that is to be just one week.

Since I live in Australia I can only get to Butlins usually once a year and it does cost me thousands of pounds (well dollars actually) to get there so I generally only go to Minehead other than for day trips. Minehead as I have mentioned many times is much more like a "proper" Butlins than Skegness or Bognor as far as I'm concerned.

So I am trying to get together a group of like-minded people who would also like to celebrate Butlins 75th anniversary at Minehead and perhaps if there's enough of us we could even try to organise a little but of our own "retro" entertainment or activities of some sort.

Please add to this thread if you're interested.
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Count me in !

Any excuse for a Butlins fix !!!

Any one got any inside information about when and what Bourne are planning ?

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:35 am

David M from Butlins has said he will announce details on butlinsmemories.com within a few weeks regarding what they are planning. My plan is that once David announces Butlins plans we can start to look at more details and plan exactly what we're going to do, either on this thread or elsewhere.

By the way I have also posted the same message as at the start of this thread on various other butlins related groups / forums on facebook and elsewhere. Hopefully between the various sites and groups we'll get enough people interested to make it worthwhile.

There's already a couple on the "forever butlins" facebook group interested as well.

In the meantime if anyone has any ideas why not add them to this thread.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby minehead forever » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:34 pm

not really connected with the get together but with the 75th anniversary.
we went to minehead for the day last sunday and went into watch the pantomine,they opened the doors a full hour before the show started,and the redcoats put on a 70's style party dance set before the show with dances like the birdy song,conga etc.
a lot was mentioned about butlins history during the dances and also that as next year was the 75th year there would be plenty of new things to enjoy,redcoat chris morley didn't go into anymore detail but he was trying hard to get people down to the booking shop as next year can't be missed.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Interesting, but if he didn't mention any particular week of next year then it sounds like he was just trying to get people to book another holiday while they're there - something they always do and not necessarily anything to do with the 75th celebrations.

I still don't know for certain if the celebrations will be all year or just one specific week / weekend.

One redcoat did tell me certain things will be going on all year, but that may not be certain so we'll have to wait till David M tells us then official plans.
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 pm

If you're interested in getting together on April 11th (the actual day Skeggy opened) at the Blackpool Metropole hotel then please see thread linked below.

http://www.bygonebutlins.com/forum/view ... =1561#1561
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Return to Butlins Chat