Butlins Metropole Blackpool 10.06.2010

Moderator: deelieta

Butlins Metropole Blackpool 10.06.2010

Postby Joker » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:35 am

Just spent the afternoon having a look around the ex Butlins Metropole Hotel at Blackpool With Aaronought and Pushbutton.

The hotel is one of the oldest in Blackpool being built in 1776 by local farmer Lawrence Bailey. 240 years, many extensions and refurbishments later the hotel is still going strong.

Not the best picture of the Bailey's Hotel (far left) in 1836

The Metropole Hotel Today

Inside

Ballroom

Dining Room

The Bar

TV Room (not how I remember them !)

They even have a cinema

Games Room

Stairs to rooms

Looking down

You can even book a suite !

With a choice of famous names like the Bailey Suite, Nelson Suite or how about this ....

and to add to the tribute to the great man himself looks who's in the corridor

Pushbutton making a grand entrance

Over all I was impressed with the Metropole. This being my FIRST visit to the hotel even though I have lived in Blackpool all my life !!!

Well done Britannia Hotels the refurb in progress looks great and the tribute to Sir Billy is fantastic (pity Bourne don't do the same)

Last but but by no means least
Time to go after another day Butlins Exploring.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Metropole Blackpool.

Postby rocky mason » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Don't remember many features from my emulsion paint memories of the decor. The staircase is exactly the same!! I must say the decorations seem to be a vast improvement on the Butlins days, but are they as busy??
Thanks for letting us see the pictures. I am now going to tell Deleetia.
Rocky
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Re: The Metropole Blackpool.

Postby rocky mason » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:04 pm

rocky mason wrote:Don't remember many features from my emulsion paint memories of the decor. The staircase is exactly the same!! I must say the decorations seem to be a vast improvement on the Butlins days, but are they as busy??
Thanks for letting us see the pictures. I am now going to tell Deleetia.
Rocky
P.S Just as a point of interest Joker, for anyone who might not know. Billy Butlin took over the Metropole as he had a great ambition to see his name in lights on the Golden Mile. He didn't want the local Big Wigs to know he was keen to get the hotel for a number of reasons. He thought they might oppose Butlin coming to Blackpool, or, if they knew of his interest the price might go up. It was leasehold, Butlins never actually owned it, and Butlins got it incogneto, via an old friend of mine, now deceased, the one time assistant to the director of entertainment, Wally Goodman. Best wishes, Rocky.
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Return to Butlins Chat