100years Skegness

Moderator: deelieta

100years Skegness

Postby SkegRed » Fri May 30, 2008 8:23 am

Whilst at the Redcoat Reunion last weekend l went into Skegness on the Saturday and purchased my local "Lincolnshire Echo" and on the shelf at the side were some special publication newspapers " Jolly (Fisherman) Celebrates 100years at Skegness"
l purchased a copy pleased l did as apart from a lot about Skegness over the years inside was a lot about Butlins.
There were a number of Redcoats who had made it
lrish TV Comedian Dave Allen and Freddie (ParrotFace) Davies ,and also Ringo Starr over the years .
also there was to my suprise was 4 of my photos out of my collection, of 1960s Skegness Redcoats ,l'm on 3 of them and Freddie Davies compeering the Holiday Princess on the other photo 1961.

lf in Skeggy this weekend or whenever its worth .60p

l bought a Gross

Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby catmad » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:18 pm

THAT SOUNDS FABULOUS ANDY. PITY THEY HADN'T HAD THEM ON CAMP.
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:25 pm

l did enquire back at Butlins but No,they used to do the "Lincolnshire Echo" but dont now.they have them in my Lincoln though

Some thing else they dont do now at Butlins is Buses inside the Camp Resort for Skegness and lngoldmells ,one has to go outside the Gate now to catch the buses.

Well done Val(Catmad) for showing the photo of the Redcoat lady who was a Redcoat in 1947(l thought they said 1945??)sorry to say l have forgotten her name which isnt very nice l should have remembered as shes a Legend

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Bionic Redcoat » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:56 pm

SkegRed wrote:Well done Val(Catmad) for showing the photo of the Redcoat lady who was a Redcoat in 1947(l thought they said 1945??)sorry to say l have forgotten her name which isnt very nice l should have remembered as shes a Legend

skegred Andy

Andy,

If I remember rightly, her name was Heri (not quite sure what's that short for, if it's short for anything). I'm sure she said she worked there in 1945, but did not become a Redcoat until 1947.

I remember she was initially shy when introduced, but once she got into her flow, there was no stopping her.

As you say, a legend. Such a pity that Butlins could not supply a couple of Redcoats to have a picture with her. They certainly would have done in my (and I'm sure your) day.
Bionic Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:34 pm

l should have thought the Redcoat Reunion we would have had some sort of Recognition by Butlins Skegness ,after all we are ALL a link in the Butlin Saga and have help made Butlins what it is today.

A.J,said he has sent an invitiation to Willi Lee,the Entertainment Manager at Skegness but no response.

At all the other Redcoat Reunions l've attended we've had the Press there, local and others, and TV Companies.

The Goodnight Campers is still a sore point with me,fancy having it at 9.30 when it should be done at the end of the night to close the night,it spoilt the Reunion for me.

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby catmad » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Heri was short for Henrietta. wasn't she just lovely. We, Nigel Paula and Stuart were very annoyed that not one redcoat came to have a photo done with her. We trawled the camp just to find one, when we did I gave her my mobile number and explained what we wanted to do, and heard NOTHING. Never would have been ignored in our day.
oh happy days
catmad
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Basilbrush » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:18 am

SkegRed wrote:l should have thought the Redcoat Reunion we would have had some sort of Recognition by Butlins Skegness ,after all we are ALL a link in the Butlin Saga and have help made Butlins what it is today.

A.J,said he has sent an invitiation to Willi Lee,the Entertainment Manager at Skegness but no response.

At all the other Redcoat Reunions l've attended we've had the Press there, local and others, and TV Companies.

The Goodnight Campers is still a sore point with me,fancy having it at 9.30 when it should be done at the end of the night to close the night,it spoilt the Reunion for me.

skegred Andy

Hello Andy,
I'm sorry to see that there are still a few sore points emerging, when mainly everyone was totally delighted with the Reunion itself. The main beef was the lack of recognition from the Butlins management. Let's face it - it's NOT Butlins, is it? Billy Butlin's 2 main criteria were "A week's holiday - for a week's pay" and "Once your there - everything is free." That obviously isn't the case any more, and I believe that the accountants who run it now don't want anyone telling them HOW it should be run, and how it USED to be run - and it's my theory that this is the reason they stayed away. As for the absence of Redcoats visiting the Convention Room, I went to their Green Room THREE times, and invited them over. The ones I spoke to said they would, and also that they would pass the word on. Whether they were given counter instructions, I don't know but, as you know, none showed.
However, all that being said, I think that nearly everyone went there to meet the Reds of the past, and not the present, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. As for the Camp itself - yes, there is a lot that's gone, and there are a lot of unsightly buildings, but, HEY! any ex-Skegness Reds have got far more to look at than those who were at Filey and Clacton.
Regarding the "Goodnight Campers" - this took place at 9.30 for the benefit of the Laurel & Hardy fans. It was scheduled for the Reds between 11 and midnight but, after the film presentation, everyone began to disperse. Some wanted to hit their beds, others wanted to hit the bars. And then there were those who didn't show at all.
In a hotel, where everyone sits in the same entertainment venue all evening, we could have pulled it off, but on the camp, with all the other distractions, it was like trying to organise a Mexican Wave at Wembley, 15 minutes after the full time whistle.
HAPPY DAYS!
"A.J"
Redcoat Skegness 1973-74.
Butlins Blackpool 1974
Basilbrush
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Return to Butlins Chat